Table of contents
- Quick Intro
- Solution elements that are provisioned by the Package & Publish feature
- What is not supported to deploy with the Package & Publish feature
Package & Publish is a SharePoint provisioning feature provided by skybow Solution Studio that allows you to bring your custom SharePoint solution from development to production or deliver it to your customers with ease.
With this feature you can package list and libraries, customizations, etc. and deploy it to any target site regardless if they are in the same or different environment. A simple and user-friendly interface in Solution Studio allows users to easily manage the deployment and update process. You can control versions of the solution you want to deploy. Package & Publish also provides an option to update target sites with any version of your solution in a few clicks. The Package & Publish feature is available for both classic and modern solutions.
Below in this article it's described in more details what elements and properties of the solution is getting packaged (and published).
Solution elements that are provisioned by the Package & Publish feature:
- Dossiers with sublists and sublibraries including all forms and views
- List and Libraries (with OOTB and customized forms)
- Content of all list and libraries (optional, not activated by default)
- skybow Background Features (Scheduled & Triggered Actions, field calculations)
- Pages (Wiki Pages, Modern Pages)
- Solution Images
- Site Logo
List Settings and Properties (for both Modern and Classic experience)
Most properties you have set on the list settings for the lists and libraries will be packaged. In particular, the following properties can be distinguished:
- General Settings includes name, description and navigation; To include links on the left navigation you need to include them on the Navigation Tab in Solution Studio.
- Versioning Settings: Content Approval and Item Version History options
- Advanced Settings includes Content types management, Attachments, Folders, Search, Index Non-Default Views, Quick property editing
- Workflow settings: supported SharePoint 2013 Workflows
- Enterprise Metadata and Keywords Settings
- List Content types: Beside the list content type, it's custom parent site content type will be included in a package as well.
- Site Column: Package includes site column if it's added to the list.
Content of all lists and libraries (optional)
Content of the list or the library is not included in the package by default. This is optional and you can check this option on the Things in background Tab in Solution Studio.
Columns of the list and libraries
|Column type||Package & Publish support|
|Single line of text||+|
|Multiple lines of text||+|
|Date and Time||+|
|Lookup||+ NOTE: Source Lookup list must be included in the solution or the source Lookup list with the same name and the same path should exist on the target site|
Yes/No (check box)
Hyperlink or Picture
|+ NOTE: Term set is not deployed to the target site, you need to create it manually|
|Data Lookup||+ Supported for Modern forms|
|Site Column||+ In case the site column is created on the site level and added to the list|
skybow Background Features
skybow Background Features: Scheduled and Triggered actions, Metadata inheritance, Aggregation and Calculated Expressions.
skybow Classic Customizations
skybow customizations related to classic experience like Rich Forms, Action Links, List View Search, Document Generator etc. are also provisioned for deploying to the target sites.
Major sublist web part options will be published as well - except Target Audiences and Display search box.
skybow Modern Customizations
skybow List Actions and Modern Forms customizations (Form Settings, Command Bar and Form Load Actions, Styling, etc.)
What is not supported to deploy with the Package & Publish feature:
- Site Settings:
- Multilanguage settings (only default site language is packaged)
- Site and site collection feature activation status
- List Settings:
- Validation settings of the list
- Launch forms in dialog window (Classic Experience)
- Customization of custom site column on the list level will not be provisioned
- Web parts settings:
- Target Audiences for sublists
- Search Box for sublist (Classic Experience): uncheck this option will not be packaged into the target site
- Connections between web parts
- SharePoint On-Premises:
- Modern Pages
- Customized Modern Forms
- Background Features
Additional information about the solution elements that have been included in your package you can find in the package logs in Solution studio. After deployment, you can also check the publish logs to see which solution elements were deployed to the target site. (Publish logs on SharePoint On-Premises are stored in the package folder where you started the installation by PowerShell).