Table of contents
- Import Package Configuration (Solution Merge)
- Import Package Configuration process
- Usability features
- Video: How to use Solution Merge
Import Package Configuration (Solution Merge)
Import Package Configuration (Solution Merge) feature gives the possibility to import (merge) configuration from another solution into the current one. If you've built a solution, you may want to use some package elements from another existing solution. With this feature, you can easily build SharePoint solutions based on the packages from other solutions in the solution studio.
The Import Package Configuration feature is available on the Command Bar in solution studio.
Import Package Configuration process
To import any configuration you need to choose the source solution and the package you want to import into the current solution. Before merging make sure you have the package of the source solution you want to merge.
NOTE: Make sure your current solution has the latest version. Before importing the package you need to update the solution.
When click on 'Choose configuration' button, verification process will start. When the verification process is finished you will see the package elements tree and here you can choose which package elements you want to merge into the current solution. The Import configuration wizard displays all configuration elements included in the package as a hierarchical checkbox tree with expanding and collapsing nodes that contain nested nodes.
On the wizard you can manage which package elements you want to include/exclude in the import. You have a several options to do that:
- Check/Uncheck package element (node):
You can check or uncheck the whole parent node (list or library, Site Navigation, Site Settings, etc.) or you can also check/uncheck only some child node (certain fields, field settings, view, etc. ).
- Prevent overwriting display name: This option is available only for the list/libraries Fields node and Site Field node.
- Force update (overwrite all): You can overwrite configuration of the certain node on the context menu (right-click) or the whole package.
- Reset: You can revert the changes to the original state in the package.
When you made some changes in the wizard before the starting the import/merge process you need to restart verification to make sure there are no conflicts, etc.
During the verification process you can face with the conflicts related to the same names lists/libraries in the current solution and the package you merge, lookups, data lookups, background features etc. that should be resolved before merging. If the source solution contains background feature, you will need to trust app principal permissions for executing Background Features on your SharePoint site.
Other conflicts you can resolve by unselecting the conflicts package node or use Force update option. Force update option will overwrite configuration of the certain node.
On the last step you can see the whole configuration structure that will be imported. Here you can put some description regarding imported configuration.
During the import process an automatic backup package will be created, before the configurations get imported into current solution. To see the history of previous imports you need to click on Previous Imports button on the Import configuration wizard. Here you can see the logs of finished importing process, Import date and link to the source solution.
- Search - looking for a package element - just search for it.
- Filtering - you can filter package elements (Shows errors & conflicts only, Show exсluded only, Show do not overwrite fields display names only).
- Right mouse click - Right mouse click opens the context menu with the managing options.
- Restart verification - Starts verification process